Activities at Sānti
Things To Do in Weligama
Weligama is a treasure trove of sights to see and things to do. Besides the most popular activities, you will find a lot more to explore, interesting things to see and places to visit in and around Weligama
• SAIL AND YACHT CHARTER –You can join a catamaran sail cruise or charter your own with Sail Lanka, located in the Mirissa Harbour (10 minutes drive) @saillanka
• WHALE AND DOLPHIN WATCHING –Join a whale watching tour or charter your own boat. (4 to 6 hour tour, and located 10 minute drivein the Mirissa Harbour)
• SURFING–Weligama is a well known surfing beach with many surf shops along the bay. Further north in Midigama and Ahangama are also great surfing spots
• SURF LESSONS –There are many surf schools along the Weligama Bay
• SCUBA AND SNORKLING –There are a number of dive schools offering diving and snorkeling around Weligama
• KUSHTA RAJA GALA –An ancient King’s likeness was carved onto a rock in the 7th to 9th century, which is visited to this day by Pilgrims (10 minute drive)
• SNAKE FARM : Home to rescued venomous and non venomous snakes and an ayurvedhic healing center (10 minute drive)
• ANIMAL SOS: Home to 100’s of rescued stray dogs, this orphanage is worth a visit if you would like to donate food and medicine for their furry friends (30 minute drive)
• SECRET BEACH (Ahangama) –The secret is to find it!
• SMALL ISLANDS & COCONUT HILL: You can visit these tiny islands located in Weligama and Mirissa by foot or by boat (@saillanka)
• TURTLE HATCHERY (Koggala -30 minute drive North) –See how turtle eggs are saved, hatched and cared for, then released to the ocean. You can release some yourself
• COASTAL DRIVE: A drive along the coast north towards Galle or further south is delightful. You encounter incredible beaches, hidden rocky coves, stilt fishermen and those unmatchable sunsets. Hire a scooter, drive along the Galle Matara road, take a dip in the sea where ever you fancy, and chill at the many beach side restaurants along the way.
• INLAND DRIVE: Take a drive inland to explore paddy cultivations, temples scattered around, local shops, handicraft places, and so much more. But the one thing you will always encounter is beautiful smiling Sri Lankans.
• HANDUNGODA TEA ESTATE: A low country tea estate by famed tea planter Herman Gunarathne, is complete with a tea factory, and their own brand of Ceylon Tea and Silver Tips Tea (20 minute drive)
• HIRIKETIYA BAY: This beautiful horse shoe bay located in Dickwella (1 Hour away) is worth a visit, with an incredible beach, quaint cafes and leading restaurants
• BLOW HOLE: Located in Kaduwela, just passed Hiriketiya is a natural blow hole and an attraction in the south
• SHOPPING AND DINING IN GALLE FORT –A fort built by the Dutch, it is an enclave of beautiful colonian architecture, many of which have been restored and converted to stylish shops, café and restaurants (45 minute to 1 hour drive)
• WILDLIFE IN YALA –Yala National Park located further south (2 hour drive). It is home to the largest density of Leopard, and a host of wildlife and birds. (Full day trip)